One Riverside takes advantage of site and building features that will make it a sustainable addition to the neighborhood. In keeping with Dranoff’s history of sustainable development, as evidenced by 777 South Broad and Southstar Lofts, One Riverside will be constructed to LEED Silver standards.
ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AND RECREATION
- Schuylkill River Trail and Park provides ample recreational open space and connects the site to Fairmount Park and well established bicycle paths.
- Within a10 minute walk distance are the following: UPENN, Drexel University, Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, Trader Joes, the U.S. Post Office, the Free Library, and multiple restaurants.
- Alternate modes of transportation nearby include bus, trolley, subway, carshare, regional rail, and Amtrak. The neighborhood is well connected by bicycle lanes.
- Stormwater – Vegetation and lawn areas above parking garage and new plants and trees at sidewalk level reduce flow and improve quality of water runoff.
- Reduce Heat Island Effect – One Riverside eliminates existing impervious asphalt parking lot, reducing heat emission. Added vegetation cools and improves air quality.
- Water Efficiency – Landscaping utilizes native plant and regionally adapted, non-invasive ornamental species. Most plantings are on the PHS Gold Medal Plants list for suitability for the Philadelphia region.
- Natural Daylighting – Units are given floor to ceiling windows for ample light. Reduced dwelling unit depth from exterior walls allow for maximum daylight penetration, reducing need for artificial light.
- Responsible Materials – Exterior and interior materials will be considered for their recycled content, sustainable manufacturing, low-emitting qualities, and manufacturing proximity to the site.
- Construction – Building practices will attempt to minimize disruption of soil, and waste from construction will be properly managed.
- Energy Efficiency – A planned centralized mechanical system will reduce energy consumption.
- Bicycle Storage – 45 interior bicycle spaces are provided for use by residents.
- Job Creation – Hundreds of Philadelphia residents will be involved in the construction and design of One Riverside. When occupied, the site will be staffed with maintenance crews, management, and café workers. New residents will promote economic growth, especially in services.
- Urban Vibrancy – More eyes on the street will reduce crime and promote lively street life. Additional residents increase the support and use of parks.